Sunday, December 6, 2009

Mt. Gretna's Roosters

Seems as if last year's little abandoned cock as attracted quite a fraternity of fellow roosters. Every Saturday, for quite some time now, many of Mt. Gretna's informal and formal community leaders--apparently all white males, meet at the pizza shop for breakfast. And, so I have been told, to gossip and to talk politics.

I even heard that I have been the subject of their conversations on more than one occassion. However, the discussions center on whether or not I am really an attorney, and on how much of a "troublemaker" I am.

I found this all very flattering--its as if they find me and my words too powerful to actually engage me in the substance of these conversations. Its also as if they feel that they have no "weapons"--like contrary documents, with which to dialoque or confront my words with, so they have to try to tarnish my credibility.

This behavior of theirs' is very unfortunate, because the topics that I am presenting have very serious and often negative impacts on many of these roosters neighbors, if not themselves. So, I really can't see why they aren't expressing more concern about these questions and concerns that I am presenting, rather than worrying about whether or not I am really an attorney--like that would have anything to do with the topic at hand. Right?

So, that's why I showed them bar card on Saturday. And, I gave them copies of the documents I used to write my last post,and asked them for their input, possibly an explanation as to why Chautauqua accounts were transfered to a bank without FDIC insurance, and transfered on a motion by a treasurer that I think should have disclosed his personal relationship with that bank and recused himself from the vote. I haven't heard anything from them, yet.

So, let's hope that they can now refocus their collective resources and address the real issues at hand.
Namely, that over $900,000 flows through this community every year, yet our public officials still keep reaching deeper and deeper into our pockets to raise our taxes, fees, or assessments. And many of these "pockets" are on fixed incomes and have limited resources. That is probably what should certainly be the main concern when roosters discuss my comments on local politics or public officials.

Maybe they are concerned, but have let their "impulses" to "keep a woman in her place" take priority over dealing with possible political transgressions or issues. Still, why not just show me the flaws in my research or reasoning rather than spew personal judgments and petty opinions--we all deserve a robust and fully informed conversation on these topics. And I am sure the roosters have much to contribute substantively to the conversations.So, please, if you, Mr. Rooster, know of a flaw in my research or reasoning, please, please, bring it to the table for all to see.

No comments: