Thursday, August 5, 2010

Gay this, Gay that

I ask you, what is "gay marriage?"
This is a funny phrase that has been thrust about for the last decade or so. Funny because I have never heard anyone, not even the most vile and bigoted groups, call my federal tax payments "gay taxes." Or my eating out at local restaurants "gay dining." Or when I have my monthly you-know-what, I have never heard it called the "gay menstruation." Or how about when I got a graduate degree along with about 200 other people: is my degree supposed to be referred to as a "gay degree" or my education process as "gay learning?"
And how far back does that grammatical rule apply? Was my 9 month ride in my mothers womb a "gay gestation?" Or my birth a "gay delivery?" I suspect that my mother would have something to say about this, but it would probably be along the lines of "Shit my father says".
I mean, really, how stupid do journalists and reporters think we are? Do they think really think that we don't hear how they play to the bigots when they call "marriage" "gay marriage?" Enough is enough. Its simply "marriage" people, and the issue is that, for whatever reason, many of you want permission to think differently about a certain assumed class of people. Maybe you feel threatened by the success of the gay couple's relationship who live down the road from you, or by the financial success of your gay cousin, or by your own recurring cameos is what you think are "gay" dreams. Or maybe you just don't want someone who has no relation to you make decisions that you don't agree with. Whatever the reason, someone else getting married is, obviously, someone else's decision. Its not yours. You don't want me to fall under a "lesser" category when it comes to paying my taxes, or to send my mother to a different delivery ward when giving birth, do you? So, why do you insist on this "gay marriage" phrase? Its because the issue is really your own bigotry. Its not about the issue of marriage at all.

No comments: