Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Submit your nominations for

I have been getting more and more (mostly private) inquiries asking who people can cast a write-in vote for in the upcoming Boro Council elections on Nov. 3rd. I have to admit that I do not know the best way to respond to those inquiries-you see, I do have names (6, to be exact). But those names (except for one) have been suggested to me, and well, I haven't quite figured out how to approach those persons, because, well, its a tricky situtation. You see, if I make the approach, given my current public statements, it may give the appearance that I--just little 'ole me, am really the primary push behind changing our boro council leadership, and that would be an incorrect perception.

I hope that my neighbors recognize that I am telling the truth when I report that MANY OF YOU have expressed dissatisfaction with our current leadership, and for a variety of very legitimate reasons. That said, many of you have expressed appreciation for the leadership's dedication and contributions to Mt. Gretna. And, as I indicated in a previous post, that latter group shares some pretty stark demographic characteristics. Even so, that latter group has been a vocal minority in the issue of the upcoming election.

The problem is that that vocal minority may end up being our voting majority. So, what I find to be the most interesting question right now is "Will the vocal majority coalesce and make their desired change happen?"

Also, if someone does want to run, wouldn't it be best for that person to personally solicit his or her neighbor's for votes and to NOT make a public statement? If the incumbents do not know who may be running as write-ins, they will have to run on the issues, so to speak, and can't make it a personality debate, even if the debates occur around the neighbor's coffee table. I guess I am asking just what is the best way, in such a small community, to run as a write-in without allowing the general "campaign" to turn "personal"?

I haven't found the answer to that question yet, but I am certainly willing to share what I know about the write-in process, to publish write-in candidate's information and announcements, and to even help organize or conduct meetings. Whatever it takes to help the community's momentum change from what I am hearing it is today into something more reflective of a community made of many diverse individuals, concerns, needs, and skills.

I am also willing to serve as the "clearing house" for collecting your nominations and announcements for write-in candidates--publishing the list as it gets closer to Nov. 3rd.

No comments: