Thursday, September 10, 2009

The Aztecs, Tomatillos, and Toby


For the last two growing seasons, we have participated in a local food share. And, while there is comfort thinking that our food is at least a little more healthy for us than if we purchased it from a chain supermarket, there have been some challenges. The first of which is what to do with new produce. Although we may have eaten them in someone elses dish prepared for us, we have never ourselves cooked things like tomatillos, fennel, and jerusalem artichokes before. But, today is a good day to be home and figuring things like this out, since we have a 17yr. old pooch that is in his last moments with us. A soft glow and cooking smells from the kitchen comfort all beings, so I guess that I am trying to let him know that he can let go on his own. Its always so difficult knowing when is the right time.

So what am I doing with those fruity, husky little tomatillos? Well, I first had to do some research on them. I discovered that they were domesticated hundreds--strike that, thousands of years ago by the Aztecs. The Aztecs word for the tomatillo was "miltomatl" and for the tomato was "xitomatl"--with "tomatl" meaning "round and plump. Invading Europeans preferred the tomato over the tomatillo, and created ongoing confusion by referring to both by using only the word "tomatl" to refer to both the tomato and the tomatillo. However, most historical references to the "tomatl" are believed to be referring to the tomatillo, and not the tomato.
I also learned that little husk tomato fruit serves well in salsas, stews, etc., having a more tangy flavor than its sister fruit, the tomato. So, I am going to stew them in some of the sweet and savory juice from my stuffed stuffed spag. squash that I cooked last night --brown sugar, butter, and a splash of worcester sauce. I have some corn meal to make some fresh tortillas with and we will see what else the frig offers up--I have faint memories of getting lima beans and corn with a food share delivery recently.
As I ponder the origins of the tomatillo and the ongoing confusion surrounding its recorded history, I am particularly appreciative of my relationship with my pets and how they don't seem to have the capacity to confuse relationships like we do. Unlike human behavior, which can be self-centered, misguided, or difficult to interpret, there is never any confusion as to an animal's feelings or intentions. They are pretty transparent, and never have any bad intentions. Oh, the results of an animal's actions may seem "bad" to us, but the intentions are never based on malice. Their actions are only direct responses to their environments. These days, that predictability and absence of malice makes for a good friend.

No comments: