Friday, February 12, 2010

E-Town's Lynden Gallery

A year or so ago, I was waiting at the E-town Amtrak station for the train to Philly when I met Lisa Clemens, gallery director of Lynden Gallery. She had the dead-giving away trappings of a design professional about her, so when the train came and we got seated, I took a leap and asked her what kind of drawings she had in her pink carrying tube. My hunch was correct, as she told me she was a design student at Drexel and was on her way to a class.

As we talked, she told me about her involvement with Lancaster's Arts Hotel and with renovating a local fire hall right there on Mainn Street in E-Town. I had been to the Arts Hotel, so knew a little about what she was talking about. But, as for the old fire hall, that was a new story. Apparently, she and her side-kick renovated the hall into a residence (top floor) and gallery/frame shop on the first floor. Their website shows some pictures of the project: http://www.lyndengallery.com/history.htm

Well, even though I haven't managed to get some pictures there to be framed, I have dropped in on a couple gallery events, including last night's Jazz and Chocolate Opening Reception. And, even though my better half doesn't like chocolate, jazz, or going out in freezing temps, I convinced her to come. When I first met Lisa, I told her about our own renovation addictions, and she was very inviting about sharing her fire hall with my family architect, if the chance ever blossomed. So, I taunted Michelle with the "carrot" of a tour, and, when we arrived at the gallery last night, Lisa warmly obliged.

On renovation projects of historic buildings, its a blessing and a curse to have space. Space can greatly increase the cost of materials, then you have the whole issue of how to deal with old and inefficient systems, like heating and electrical. You want to bring the building into the present in a joyful way, but you can't do that by ripping out and "disrespecting" history. Lisa's place seems to have done a perfect job in achieving the balance between form and function. They have preserved the original architectural details and the building's original program with thoughtful and seamless details, like a rope pole to exit the Gallery's namesake's bedroom loft and a new loft area that wraps around the original sleeping quarters without cutting off the views or sunlight from the windows.

And, as for the Opening, the music was refreshing and, well, I think I detected some Wilbur Chocolates inthe selection. The artists' works were displayed with ample "cruising" space, with what I think the best piece of the opening tucked at the end of the gallery's hall-like space.

That piece was a sculpture by Holly Garcia, and it is titled "Iris Courtesan". Apparently, it was commissioned by an opera or dance company while the artist was in California. It is a perfect conceptual balance between elegance and strength, demonstrating the feeling of peace that comes about when that balance is achieved. Michelle and I both fell in love with it immediately, and will probably take one picture at a time there to be framed just to prolong our opportunity to see it again.

Another of Garcia's work is on the Lynden gallery website, at
http://www.lyndengallery.com/index.htm

No comments: